Homeowners and Renters in Minneapolis-Saint Paul

This is pretty self-explanatory. Based on 2010 Decennial Census data at the census block level, where are the homeowners and renters in the MSP metro area? This is the entire population mapped, so "homeowners" includes all occupants of an owner-occupied housing unit. The idea is similar for renters. One dot = one occupant.

Click here for full-screen

I allowed for the homeowners and renters to be pictured separately because it nicely shows the different patterns. The homeowners tend to be spread fairly evenly, with a few holes here and there, while the renters are clustered in high density areas and also along transit lines.

End note

I need to give credit to Robert Manduca for his jobs map which a lot of this is based on (He credits Dustin Cable's racial dot map, so I'm sure I owe a lot of credit there as well). I used a combination of R and Processing to make this. I hadn't used Processing before, so this was a nice introduction. For my previous map of Indianapolis I messed around with TileMill and mbutil, but I found generating map tiles to be much easier with Processing.

Comments